Mmmmm… Pumpkin Spice.
I felt a bit cliché making this Pumpkin Spice Granola recipe… but when it finished baking, and the whole 5th floor in my apartment building filled with that heavenly, cinnamon-y, nutmeg and pecan aroma, the shame totally wore off. I even had a request to buy the stuff from a near-by neighbor!
The finished product is not like most other granolas; it is not terribly sweet and doesn’t have any added dried fruit. Just that airy crunch of pumpkin seeds, rich toasty pecans, and every few bites you get the ultra crispy texture of toasted quinoa.
And honestly, I like it better this way. I can control how much sugar I want to add. If I’m eating it with something already pretty sweet I usually don’t want to layer it with more sugar. Not to mention that less sugar in your everyday food choices can seriously help the waistline. If I’m in the mood, I’ll scoop some of the crunchy granola onto my yogurt in the mornings, and top it with a bit of maple syrup.
Besides serving it with yogurt, I think my favourite way to eat it is plain old, in a bowl, with some cold milk. You also could sprinkle it on your oatmeal for an added crunch, have it as a topping on frozen yogurt (imagine that with a creamy caramel sauce… mmmm), or carry it around for a mid-day snack like trail mix.
The taste! The versatility! I just love pumpkin spice, and I love granola. I love you Pumpkin Spice Granola.
So here it is guys, my Pumpkin Spice Granola Recipe!
Pumpkin Spice Granola
Yield: 4 cups
Time: 30 minutes
Nutrition in 1/2 cup serving:
Pumpkin Spice Granola
3 c Whole Oats
3 tbsp Brown Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
3/4 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
1 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/3 c Pumpkin Seeds
1/4 c Quinoa
1/4 c Pecan Halves
1/4 c Melted Coconut Oil
1/3 c Maple Syrup
1/3 c Pumpkin Puree
1 tsp Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 f. Grease or place parchment paper on 2 large baking sheets.
- Combine dry ingredients and mix well, set aside.
- Whisk together wet ingredients; ensure there are no lumps from the pumpkin puree.
- Pour wet mixture over oat mixture, and gently stir until ingredients are well incorporated and the wet ingredients have evenly coated the dry.
- Sprinkle granola evenly onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 20 minutes, checking and stirring the granola at half time.
*Tip: Granola will appear soft when it first comes out of the oven, but becomes crunchy as it cools, be careful not to over bake.